Life is better in a bowl and this Spiced Salmon Bowl with Thai Basil Yogurt is no exception!
How do we even break down how amazing this recipe is… it's perfectly spiced salmon with a cucumber salad, a thai basil yogurt sauce and some avocado served over a bed of steamed white rice. It comes together uber fast and that yogurt sauce is insane. If you can't get your hands on thai basil, regular basil is equally as delish!
Let's start at the top.... the spice crusted salmon - game changer. It’s coated in a handful of spices and then cooked to perfection. The spices form a little bit of a crust and omg it’s truly so flavorful. It's amazing what everyday spices can do when combined together to make a blackening seasoning.
The Thai Basil Yogurt Sauce made with Stonyfield Grass Fed Greek Yogurt - another gem. The base is the most perfect Grass Fed Greek Yogurt and the Thai Basil and salt just amp up the flavor any more. It’s perfect on the salmon but also delish on just about anything else you can think of. Chicken - yes. Steak - yes. Veggies - game on. Stonyfield is just hands down the best yogurt company there is. Period, end of story. And I’m always so happy to support a company that puts small dairy farmers at the top of their priority list!
The cucumber salad tossed with rice wine vinegar… wowowowow. Cucumber salads are always going to be my jam and this one is no exception!
Then just serve it up over a bed of rice, herbs and plenty of avocado. Truly the definition of perfection. You'll be wanting this Spiced Salmon Bowl on repeat for the foreseeable future!
Spiced Salmon Bowl with Thai Basil Yogurt
For the Spiced Salmon:
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 6-ounce salmon filets (skin on or skinless depending on preference)
- neutral oil for searing
For the Thai Basil Yogurt:
- ½ cup Stonyfield Grass Fed Greek Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons minced thai basil
- kosher salt, to taste
For the Cucumber Salad:
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar or mirin
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (or granulated/brown sugar)
- kosher salt
- ½ english cucumber (thinly sliced on a mandolin)
- ¼ red onion (thinly sliced on a mandolin)
- 1 thai red chili or serrano, minced optional
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- ½ avocado thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro leaves
- fresh thai basil leaves
- To prep the salmon, preheat an oven to 425 degrees. The the salmon filets so they are dry and place on a plate. In a small bowl, combine spices, sugar, if using, and salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly all over salmon and salmon skin. Set aside.
- To make the thai basil yogurt, in a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt and minced basil. Season with salt, to taste; set aside.
- To make the cucumber salad, in a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, coconut sugar and small pinch of salt. Toss in the cucumber, red onion, thai red chili, if using, and minced cilantro. Set aside.
- To cook the salmon, heat 2 Tablespoons of neutral oil in an oven safe skillet. Sear salmon on both sides until a nice crust forms and spices appear blackened, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and roast until the internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees for medium, 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To assemble, divide rice evenly between two bowls. Top each bowl with salmon, some cucumber salad, and avocado. Spoon thai basil yogurt over the top and garnish with herb leaves.
This has become a regular for us. Sooooo delicious! I’ve always been one to grill salmon but this method of cooking is so great.
This was absolutely delicious! Made exactly as written and I can't wait to make this again!
This was delicious! We love a bowl meal in our house, lets everyone mix and match components to their personal preference. I found that I needed to stir a little water into the basil yogurt to thin it out for a more drizzly consistency.
Absolutely delicious! Whole family enjoyed it! Each element came together to make a perfect bowl!
This was so yummy! Made it with purple rice which went really well with it.
I’m not finding granulated ginger anywhere and had a hard time finding Thai basil. Are there substitutes for these?
is granulated ginger ground ginger?
Agreed! Love dinner in a bowl! And the Thai basil yogurt sauce sounds delicious!!
Came to the site to make the kale salad salmon, a favorite in our house and was interested to try this. It was delicious and a huge success. I can’t wait to make it again.
Love your recipes, but surprised that you don't include the nutritional info for each recipe (including calories).