Indulging in springs bounty with this Spring Pea Farro Salad!
Spring is in full swing here in Los Angeles and I couldn’t be happier. This weeks trip to the farmers market left me with a fridge full of spring produce that I immediately whipped up into this Farro Salad! Using asparagus, english peas, pea tendrils, a healthy dose of feta and a lemon champagne vinaigrette, this is an easy weeknight meal or lunch that’s celebrating a few of the best parts of spring!
And a side note – pea tendrils are my new jam. I’ll be consuming them in mass quantities until someone makes me stop 🙂
- 1 cup shelled english peas
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into small coins
- 1 cup farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch pea tendrils, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add the peas and asparagus and blanch for 60 seconds. Drain the water and immediately submerge the peas and asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain them from the ice water and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the farro according to the package directions. Once fully cooked, remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes to cool.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the pea tendrils and sauté for 2-3 minutes until slightly wilted. Season with salt and remove from heat.
- Toss together the pea tendrils, cooked farro and the peas and asparagus. Add the crumbled feta.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette and then drizzle over the farro mixture. Serve immediately. This can be served cold, at room temperature or slightly warm.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!