Watermelon, Kale and Feta Salad! I’m just living my best life over here and eating this on repeat.
I get it. I get it. Everyone is kinda sorting starting to get pumped for fall and sweater weather and blah blah blah, but I’m a California girl through and through and I’d just prefer summer to last forever. Is that really asking too much? So in honor of my own request, I made Watermelon, Kale and Feta Salad!
If you follow along on snapchat or insta-stories, you know I’ve been loading up on that yellow and red watermelon like it’s my job. I’m eating on average 2 lbs a day and nothing about that is going to change until watermelon goes out of season. I’m obsessed. When I actually get a watermelon to last me more than a few moments and take the time to dice it up, then this Watermelon, Kale and Feta Salad is what’s on the agenda. It’s the perfect end of summer salad. The watermelon and feta make it feel bright and cheerful, and the kale is kinda sorta transitioning it into fall. Add to that my balsamic vinaigrette, plenty of toasted pepitas and you’re ready to go.
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cut into 1 cubes
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons torn mint
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 heads kale, cut into thin strips
- 1 sheet feta cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Combine the watermelon, shallots, and mint in a large bowl with the 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer to a fridge and let marinate for at least 1 hour, up to 3 hours.
- Toss the shredded kale with the 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage everything together for 2 minutes. Transfer the kale to a serving bowl.
- In a blender whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and season to taste. Top the kale with the watermelon mixture, feta, and sunflower seeds. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and serve.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!