This Loaded BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad is one of my favorite make ahead meals!
Have we all recovered from yesterday’s game? I’m fairly certain I ate more than my fair share of guacamole and queso, but hey, that’s what the Super Bowl is all about right? I’m lightening things up today with this BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad!
Loaded salads are totally my jam. They make life colorful and delicious and it’s a great way to use whatever is left in my fridge. Yesterday I whipped up a ton of these salads for the week! I just assemble the entire thing, minus the avocado, so then we can grab them for lunch when we’re hungry. Layers of quinoa, grilled corn, black beans, shredded BBQ chicken, diced avocado, BBQ sauce and a little cheese give this salad about 324 dimensions and each bite was packed with flavor.
It’s kind of like a BBQ chicken pizza but subbed with quinoa which makes it healthier and mostly guilt free! Hands down this is one of my new favorite salads that you absolutely have to try!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded BBQ chicken
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons White Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2-4 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, corn, black beans, chicken and avocado. Season with salt and pepper
- Transfer mixture onto a bowl and top with shredded cheese, BBQ sauce, scallions and cilantro.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
This recipe calls for already cooked chicken so plan ahead! I prefer to cook my chicken in the crockpot, using 6 chicken thighs, 1 white onion sliced and 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. I cook on low for about 6-7 hours and then shred and refrigerate for later.