The only kind of chicken soup that graces my kitchen is a majorly flavorful Chicken Posole! It’s beyond easy. Chicken cooked in a spiced broth with hominy and then topped with all my favorite toppings… avocado + cheese, duh! Puts your ordinary chicken noodle soup to shame 🙂
Okay, that might have been a bit harsh… but I’ve just never been one for chicken noodle soup. Chicken Posole, on the other hand is something I can absolutely get behind. It’s exactly what I want when I’m looking for something simple, light, healthy and DELICIOUS! So when someone (namely my husband) asks me for a chicken noodle soup to fight a cold, this is as close as it’s gonna get.
It’s 100 times more delicious and an avocado a day is enough to keep the doctor away! Make it in the spring, summer, fall or winter – you honestly can’t go wrong. And below you’ll see that I listed just about every topping possibility under the sun, so you can keep it simple and just stick with the soup… or you can get fancy and add on all your favorite toppings and go to town! Either way, I promise you’ll love it.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned hominy, drained and rinsed
- Diced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Diced red, white, or yellow onion
- Radishes, small dice
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Crumbled cotija cheese
- Slivered Scallions
- Tortilla Chips to serve on the side and scoop up anything in the bowl
- Transfer the chicken breasts onto a large cutting board and carefully slice them in half so you have thinly sliced pieces. Sprinkle them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breast in a single layer and sear for 1 minute on both sides until golden brown. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 12 minutes more, flipping the chicken halfway to full cook. Once cooked, set the chicken aside.
- Add the chicken broth to a medium Dutch oven and bring it to a rapid simmer. Once simmering, add the bay leaf, thyme, oregano, garlic, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, chili powder, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken into small pieces. Add the chicken and drained hominy to the Dutch oven. Raise the heat to medium to warm everything through. Taste and add more salt or other seasonings if needed. Discard the bay leaf.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls with any of the desired toppings.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!