Is there really anything better than Layered Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting? I don’t think so! And if there is, I have yet to discover it
With Easter right around the corner, and all sorts of other Spring celebrations (baby showers, birthdays, outdoor picnics etc) I thought it was high time to share my fam’s tried and true recipe for Carrot Cake! Because I’m me, I doubled to the recipe to make a Layered Carrot Cake and then topped it off with a healthy dose of Cream Cheese Frosting. It’s a little/big slice of perfection and I know you guys are going to love it!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Line bottom of pans with light greased parchment paper.
- In a large stand mixer, whisk together the flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger and ground nutmeg over low speed to combine.
- Add in the eggs, vegetable oil and grated carrots and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, dividing equally. Slide the pans into the oven and bake for 30 minutes until done. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool completely before removing them from the pans.
- Once cooled, place 1 cake layer on cake stand. Spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake layer. Using an offset spatula, spread remaining frosting in decorative swirls over sides and top of cake. Serve as needed.
- Place cream cheese in a large stand mixer and beat on low speed.
- Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Carefully add in the confectioners' sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.