Coming in hot before a weekend full of brunching with these incredible Cheese and Scallion Scones!
Maybe these are scones, maybe they are more like biscuits, but regardless, you need them in your life this weekend. Flaky dough stuffed to the brim with a variety of cheeses, scallions and black pepper… omg it’s perfect. I like to bake these Cheese and Scallion Scones off the morning of brunch so they are still hot when guests stroll in the front door. You can serve them up plain, with a side of really delish butter, or sandwich some bacon and eggs in between for a breakfast sandwich.
There’s truly no bad way to serve them… and they couldn’t be easier to make! Cheese and Scallion Scones FOR THE WIN! Get after it this weekend guys!
Savory Cheese and Scallion Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter cold, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 3 oz shredded cheddar
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Combine the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Next add the various cheeses, cream cheese and scallions. Next add the heavy cream. Fold everything together being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Form 12 medium sized mounds out of the dough. The size can vary depending on if you want to stretch the recipe to make more. Arrange them on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once chilled, whisk the egg together with 2 tablespoons of water. Brush the egg wash over the scones and bake for 16-20 minutes until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and serve with butter, scrambled eggs, bacon etc.