This Saffron Tomato Confit is 100% about to revolutionize the way you eat! (and dream… it’s that good!)
Okay, I know I say that about a ton of things… but it’s true! So now that I’ve acknowledged that everything I make is life changing… let’s move on. I’ve been on a recipe testing binge recently and it’s all been surrounding this Saffron Tomato Confit. I was first introduced to this a few weeks back by one of my friends Dana Robinson and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. It’s basically cherry tomatoes that are slowly simmered in some really good quality olive oil along with some saffron, salt and pepper. That’s it. Could it get any easier… no. Could it be more delicious… no.
I’ll eat this Saffron Tomato Confit on just about everything. Toasted pita bread, yes. Grilled bread with a shmear of fresh ricotta cheese, yes. On top of grilled chicken or salmon, yes. Beef kebabs, yes. Quinoa, farro, risotto, noodles… yes, yes and yes. I mean the list goes on. It’s quite possibly the most amazing condiment ever invented and you need massive quantities of it in your life from here on out.
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron (about 20 threads)
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, place the tomatoes and olive oil over medium high heat. Add the saffron and season with salt and pepper. Give the mixture a stir to combine.
- Once the oil starts to get hot, and the tomatoes start to blister, reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer for 60 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, the tomatoes should be falling apart. Remove them from the heat and let cool in the skillet for about 20 minutes before serving. Adjust salt and pepper before serving if desired.
- Serve alongside grilled bread, pita, any kind of protein or as a side for vegetables.
- If storing overnight, transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Let it come to room temperature before serving.
Tags: easy tomato jam, Saffron Tomato Confit, Saffron Tomato Confit recipe, Saffron Tomato Confit recipes, saffron tomato jam, tomato confit, tomato confit recipe, tomato jam