What do you make for a hungry crowd of people before the biggest meal of the year? Smoky Chipotle Chicken Chili… obviously!! It’s the perfect one pot wonder that feeds a ton of people. Plus it’s even better for leftovers as the flavors continue to develop!
It’s one of those recipes that I make once a month during this time of year and keep it stocked in the freezer should I need to quickly get dinner on the table. And it’s 100% what I’m making for the night before Thanksgiving! I’ll pile it high with avocado, because duh, and also cheese because that’s mandatory! You can serve it up with any other toppings of your choice so your guests can jazz it up any way they want it!
Okay now let’s talk specifics about this Chipotle Chicken Chili. You could easily make it with ground beef, but I was feeling the ground chicken. White or dark meat works, but I’m partial to dark meat because it has more flavor. I also add in some chipotle chili peppers and some of the adobo sauce it comes in, to give this chili a nice smoky finish. It gives it a kind of heat that it’s too crazy, but it just leaves your mouth tingling a wee bite and it certainly makes you want more. The amount of chipotles in the recipe isn’t anything crazy, so if you’re super duper into hot stuff, maybe add another chipotle or two. And if you end up adding too much, just mix in some more guacamole or sour cream to tone things down a bit.
There are beans in it too!! The hubby didn’t think that there should be beans in Chili? What? Who is he? Where does he come from? I posed this bean vs no bean question over on Facebook and basically 99% of you guys said chili absolutely positively had to have beans. The 1% that disagreed was Thomas’ brother. And he’s biased. So I’m sticking with all you guys and keeping my beans in chili.
So there ya go! An easy recipe for Chipotle Chicken Chili that is sure to knock your socks off. Trust me. Even Thomas, who once vowed he’d never like chili with beans, looooooooved it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 lb ground chicken - I use dark meat - but you can use either
- 2 chipotle chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 16 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional0
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Scallions, Diced Avocado, Sour Cream, Cilantro or Chives
- In a large heavy bottom pot, add the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the red and orange bell pepper, poblano pepper and yellow and red onion and saute for 10-12 minutes until the vegetables start to cook down. Add the garlic and chili powder and saute for 1-2 more minutes.
- Next, add the ground chicken. Break it up into pieces with a wooden spoon and saute until golden brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add chopped chipotle chili peppers, adobo sauce, crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir to combine and reduce the heat to medium. Add the drained black beans and simmer for 1 hour until the chili thickens.
- Once the chili has thickened, you can reduce the heat to low and keep it on the stove until you are ready to serve.
- Top with any of the optional toppings and enjoy
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!