It has been HOT in Los Angeles recently which means that hearty salads have become my new best friend. Why you ask? Well, because it doesn’t involve standing over a hot stove at the end of the day when it’s already super warm in my house! This Tropical Avocado Salad is packed with tons of different but complimentary flavors and fills you right up! The bed of arugula is perfectly peppery and then topped with slivered jalapenos for a hint of heat, red onions for that crunch, cucumbers to cool things down a touch and bits of mango and California Avocados for that smooth and creamy addition. Everything is then dressed in an orange champagne dressing and it’s ready for its debut.
You might remember a few months ago when I took a trip down to a California Avocado Farm to leave all about growing and harvesting avocados. It was probably one of the most exciting day trips I’ve ever taken because I got to see first hand what kind of love and care is put into growing avocados in California. That’s what makes me so happy to continually support the California avocado farmers! Not only are they the best darn avocados because the growers get to take advantage of the coastal climate here in CA but also they are grown with love and it translates into a perfect piece of fruit.
As a personal chef, I’m all about cooking with love. That means showing my clients how simple and healthy food can be just as satisfying as something heavier when you use amazing ingredients and really care about what you’re cooking. Take this Tropical Avocado Salad for example, it’s a combination of a few simple but amazing ingredients but when you throw them all together it’s a vibrant and tasty salad!
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 mango, seeded and cut
- 2 California avocados, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, slivered
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced on a bias
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the arugula, red onion, mango, California avocado, jalapeno and cucumber. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the freshly juiced orange juice and champagne vinegar. Slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking together to form an emulsion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad and toss. Taste and add more dressing if needed being careful not to add too much.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!