It’s not exactly game day party season. In fact, I’m like 99% certain football season is over. But I feel like nachos are in order for today so that’s what’s happening. Bring on Chrissy’s Chicken Nachos with Avocado Salsa!
First let’s get one thing outta the way up front, if you don’t have a copy of Cravings: Hungry for More, Chrissy Teigen’s latest book, do yourself a favor and go order it! It’s one of my favorites besides my own (duh) and her sense of humor about food is everything. I’ve made a handful of things from her book over the last few months and 3 weeks back we had friends over for a late afternoon hang and I whipped up a batch of her Chicken Nachos with Avocado Salsa.
I mean, it’s BBQ Chicken, tortilla chips, avocado salsa and an obscene amount of cheese. What’s not to love? It’s served on a sheet tray, no serving dishes are needed and it rocked my world (along with everyone else that was at our house at the time they came out of the oven!)
I know we have a lot of nacho recipes here on WGC, but what’s one more!! Add it to your rotation… you’re going to love it! Also if you DON’T have time to make her BBQ sauce, you can use store bought. But hers is freaking FANTASTIC.
- 1 (8-ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups pulled chicken (recipe below)
- 1 pound shredded pepper Jack cheese, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle in adobo
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a medium dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat until shimmering and hot. Add the chicken in one layer and brown until golden on both sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 9-10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, 1/4 cup water, vinegar, brown sugar, chipotles, mustard powder and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered until thick about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cover and simmer for 1 hour until the chicken falls apart. Remove from the heat and cool. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the chips on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Top with the pulled chicken and then the pepper Jack cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbling and the edges of the chips are crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the avocados, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the nachos from the oven and top with the salsa, sour cream, jalapeños, and cilantro.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!