It's not exactly game day party season. In fact, I'm like 99% certain football season is over. But I feel like nachos are in order for today so that's what's happening. Bring on Chrissy’s Chicken Nachos with Avocado Salsa!
First let's get one thing outta the way up front, if you don't have a copy of Cravings: Hungry for More, Chrissy Teigen's latest book, do yourself a favor and go order it! It's one of my favorites besides my own (duh) and her sense of humor about food is everything. I've made a handful of things from her book over the last few months and 3 weeks back we had friends over for a late afternoon hang and I whipped up a batch of her Chicken Nachos with Avocado Salsa.
I mean, it's BBQ Chicken, tortilla chips, avocado salsa and an obscene amount of cheese. What's not to love? It's served on a sheet tray, no serving dishes are needed and it rocked my world (along with everyone else that was at our house at the time they came out of the oven!)
I know we have a lot of nacho recipes here on WGC, but what's one more!! Add it to your rotation... you're going to love it! Also if you DON'T have time to make her BBQ sauce, you can use store bought. But hers is freaking FANTASTIC.
Chrissy’s Chicken Nachos with Avocado Salsa
- 1 8-ounce bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups pulled chicken recipe below
- 1 pound shredded pepper Jack cheese plus more as needed
For the BBQ Pulled Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle in adobo
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
For the salsa:
- 2 large avocados diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 to mato diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a medium dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat until shimmering and hot. Add the chicken in one layer and brown until golden on both sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 9-10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, ¼ cup water, vinegar, brown sugar, chipotles, mustard powder and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered until thick about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cover and simmer for 1 hour until the chicken falls apart. Remove from the heat and cool. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the chips on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Top with the pulled chicken and then the pepper Jack cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbling and the edges of the chips are crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the avocados, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the nachos from the oven and top with the salsa, sour cream, jalapeños, and cilantro.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson // Recipe adapted from Cravings: Hungry for More
We are IN LOVE with this recipe!!! Question-if I wanted a make-ahead meal, how do you feel about throwing all the pulled chicken ingredients in the slow cooker? Do you think that would work the same-ish as on the stovetop?
ACV listed 2x - is that right?
Nachos are always a winner!
This looks delicious but wondering what’s the recipe to actually make the pulled chicken ?
got cut off in formatting! just fixed!
Can I just add that if you have the time her homemade bbq sauce is AMAZING and cooking the chicken thighs in her sauce before shredding for the nachos makes all the difference.