You know those recipes that you grew up eating and you’d request on a weekly basis?! Well Chicken Paprikash was exactly that for us!
I’m not sure if my favorite part about this dish is the butters herb egg noodles, the creamy bright red sauce, or the chicken that is so succulent and tender. But it doesn’t matter because when you make a batch of Chicken Paprikash, LIFE IS GOOD!
Chicken Paprikash is a traditional Hungarian recipe and somehow it made it’s way into the hearts of my Omi and Papa. Omi is German and Papa is Bulgarian and they are both incredible cooks. They’d make it for my mom when she was growing up and then us when we were visiting! My mom would get requests for this on a weekly basis from us! To say we were obsessed would be an understatement.
It’s basically stewed chicken in a paprika roux with tons of extra flavor from onions and garlic and herbs. Def a crowd pleaser no matter who you are serving it to!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6-8 pieces), cut into small 1 inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- Place chicken thighs on a plate and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and flour.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon of butter. Using tongs, add chicken in and cook, toss occasionally until fully cooked. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often to dissolve browned bits on bottom of skillet, until onions are translucent, 6–8 minutes.
- Add paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring constantly, just until onions are evenly coated and spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes to skillet. Fill can two-thirds with water and swirl, then add to skillet. Stir until incorporated, seasoning with salt as you stir, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Using tongs, put the chicken along with any accumulated juices back into the skillet and simmer.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions, stirring occasionally. Drain noodles and transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and toss to coat until butter is melted and noodles are coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop ½ cup parsley and add half to noodles; toss to coat.
- Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper as needed. Spoon in a spoonful of the sour cream and stir to combine. Continue adding the sour cream, little by little so it doesn’t curdle. Add the cooked pasta into the mixture and add the remaining parsley on top.