These Cuban Mojo Chicken Thighs might be my favorite thing to come out of my kitchen this month. I am straight up obsessed and don’t be shocked if the Mojo marinade starts showing up on other recipes in the near future.
A traditional Mojo sauce can include any number of seasonings and aromatics, but it’s largely based on Orange Juice! Today we’re spicing it up with tons of garlic, some shallot, cumin, oregano, and some salt and pepper. The result is a perfectly balanced marinade that infuses flavor into the chicken thighs and also gets reduced as a drizzling sauce.
Rather than juice your own citrus (who has time for that as we near the end of summer and need to soak up every possible moment outside) we’re using Florida’s Natural®, my fav No-Pulp Orange Juice on the market!! Florida’s Natural is committed to supporting Florida farmers and you know that supporting the people that bring our food to market is always A HUGE priority for me! And besides that, it’s an all-around delicious ingredient to use in all of your summer recipes.
The orange juice is the perfect base to this recipe and if you happen to have any leftovers, you know there’s a plentiful selection of WGC recipes you can use to use up the rest of the carton!
What you’ll need:
Cuban Mojo Chicken
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 medium shallot roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lime zested (approx. 2 teaspoons grated lime zest)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Florida’s Natural® No-Pulp Orange Juice
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- In a high-powered blender, combine all the marinade ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour ⅓ cup of marinade into a small bowl and reserve it for the dipping sauce.
- Toss the chicken with the remaining 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and add the remaining marinade. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour and up to a day.
- Prepare a grill for medium high heat, and lightly oil the grill grates. Place the chicken on the grates. Let the chicken char for 30-60 seconds and then immediately decrease the heat to medium low. Grill the chicken for approximately 10-15 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F for thighs and 150°F to 155°F for breasts), turning every 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the reserved sauce to a non-stick skillet and reduce over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes until thickened. Drizzle over the grilled chicken and serve.