After doing the WGC survey last week, there’s one thing that everyone wanted… you guys love a good dinner that can translate into a leftover lunch the following day! And these Ginger Scallion Chicken Bowls with Seasoned Rice fit that bill perfectly.
If you’re anything like me, the easiest meals to make when you’re in a hurry are the ones with just a few minutes of prep work and very little cooking. These Ginger Scallion Chicken Bowls are exactly that. If you don’t already have a rice cooker – you need one. They make meal prep beyond easy and you never have to worry about the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot! Rice cookers ensure you have perfect rice every single time – and I then take that white rice, give it a quick toss with some rice wine vinegar to give it a bit of flavor and that’s the bottom layer of this bowl!
Building on that we have a quick chicken / cabbage slaw situation that gets tossed with a no-cook sauce that’s loaded with scallions and ginger! I like to add some sauteed mushrooms into the slaw situation because I’m obsessed with mushrooms and I think basically everything in life (minus dessert) can benefit with some seriously caramlized ‘shroom goodness. Then top everything off with some avocado, drizzle a bit more of the ginger scallion sauce on top and BINGO. Dinner or lunch is ready to roll.
Everything is perfect to take the following day into the office for lunch – but I will say if you’re doing that – add the avocado right before you eat! No one wants a slightly brown avocado on top of their gorgeous Ginger Scallion Chicken Bowl!
Ginger Scallion Chicken Bowls
- ½ head napa cabbage shredded
- ½ head purple cabbage shredded
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into matchsticks
- 6 ounces shitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cooked chicken breasts shredded
For the Ginger/Scallion sauce:
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced (about 1 ¼ cup total)
- 1 3- inch piece of ginger peeled and very finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 8 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 english cucumber sliced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1-2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 avocados thinly sliced
- 2-3 cups thinly shredded romaine lettuce
- In a large bowl combine the napa cabbage, purple cabbage, yellow and red bell pepper.
- In a medium skillet, saute the mushrooms in the oil until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Once golden, remove and add to the cabbage mixture along with the shredded chicken breasts.
- Combine the ingredients for the Ginger Scallion sauce in a bowl. Put half of the sauce aside to use for drizzling, and combine the remaining half with the cabbage and chicken mixture and toss to combine.
- Prep the toppings, sliced cucumber, steamed white rice tossed with 1-2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, sliced avocados and romaine lettuce.
- Arrange the 4 bowl and fill equally with piles of the rice, cucumber, sliced avocado, shredded romaine and the chicken mixture. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Serve as needed.