Have you guys ever tried Shishito Peppers? If so, you’ll know how addicting they can be! And these Grilled Shishito Peppers up the ante just a bit more than usual and you’ll be hooked.
Shishito Peppers are similar to Padron Peppers but they are a bit skinnier and longer than the Padron. They are a bit smoky, some can be spicy, and when properly seasoned they are 100% addictive. I’d go so far as to put them on the same level as popcorn… once you start you just keep going and CAN’T BE STOPPED. Unless you get a really spicy one (about 1 in 10 is HOT) and then you just need a minute to cool off before you begin consuming them like a crazy person. It’s a fun game to play with adults to see who gets a the spicy one. I always secretly want it to be me because I love ’em!
Also… this is like the easiest appetizer of all times. Double or triple the recipe if you’re cooking for a crowd – they’ll disappear in a heartbeat.
FYI – the recipe below would work just as perfectly with Padron Peppers! Grill ’em over high heat. Char ’em until they are crispy. Douse them with some soy sauce. You can’t go wrong. PS – since I know you guys will ask – my killer Grill Pan can be found here!
Grilled Shishito Peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 pound shishito peppers
- Maldon sea salt
- Preheat outdoor or indoor grill to medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, add the vegetable oil, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add peppers into the bowl and toss to combine.
- Transfer peppers to a grill pan directly over the hot part of the grill. Grill for 6-8 minutes, flipping occasionally with a pair of tongs. Once the peppers are blistered and charred, carefully remove the grill basket and transfer the peppers to a serving bowl. Season with salt OR additional soy sauces and serve.
- Note you can eat the top part - but don't eat the stem!