Grilled Summer Squash with tons of feta and my fav lemon vinaigrette is the new side dish of summer!
It’s about that time of the year when my mom calls / send pics of the 2394823458029 zucchini that she harvests on a daily basis. Zucchini season is coming and it’s a little overwhelming. Like what on earth is she supposed to do with those MASSIVE summer squashes?!? I’ve figured out an easy solution: Grilled Summer Squash.
There comes a point every summer when we’re all up to our ears in zucchini and yellow summer squash. And one can only eat zucchini noodles so many days in a row… So I came up with this super-simple preparation, which is really the quintessential summer side. I throw the tender veggies on the grill for a quick sear, toss in some fresh feta and fresh herbs, and drizzle the whole shebang with Lemon-Champagne Vinaigrette. Grilled Summer Squash is ready to go!
P.S. It’s SO SO SO important that you buy the the sheet of feta that come in the brine versus the pre-crumbled kind—it’ll change your life. They’re available at all grocery stores – right by the burrata and fresh mozzarella. Just grab a container, take a sheet of feta out the brine and then crumble it up as needed. It’s the easiest swap from the pre-crumbled kind and it will make all the difference in the world! Promise.
Grilled Summer Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium yellow squash cut in half lengthwise
- 1 red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 8 patty pan squash cut in half
- 1 sheet Feta cheese
- Fresh Mint
- Fresh Basil
- 1 recipe Lemon Champagne Vinaigrette below
For the Lemon Champagne Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange squash in a single layer on the grill and grill for 5 minutes total, turning halfway through.
- Once grill marks appear on both sides and the squash is cooked, remove from the grill and transfer to a serving platter. Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into 1 inch pieces. Crumble the sheet of feta on top, sprinkle with fresh mint and basil leaves and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.