Who doesn't love a churro!! I mean, nothing but fond memories of these beauties from my days as a kid at Disneyland! But I've now started making them on my own... because Homemade Churros are just the right thing to do!
While these are a great idea no matter what time of year - they were particularlly perfect as the finishing touch on my Paella Party menu!
For the churros:
- ½ cup white sugar plus 1 ½ tablespoons sugar divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the chocolate sauce + dulce de leche :
- 3 ½ ounces dark chocolate chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Store bought dulce de leche
- a cloth pastry bag and a large star pastry tip
To make the churros:
- Combine ½ cup of white sugar with the cinnamon on a plate. Set aside and line another plate with paper towels.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the water, 1 ½ tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring the mixture to a boil then remove it from the heat. Stir in the flour, mixing until it forms a smooth ball.
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot set over medium-high heat until it reaches 375ºF.
- Transfer the dough to a cloth pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe the dough over the pot of oil to a length of about 4 inches, then using scissors or a sharp knife, cut it so it releases into the oil. Pipe two to three churros into the oil at a time, frying them until they're golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the churros to the paper towel-lined plate to drain for 2 minutes. Then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat the frying and coating process with the remaining dough.
- Serve the churros with the warm chocolate sauce (recipe below) and the dulce de leche which can be bought from the store.
To make the chocolate sauce:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl.
- Warm the heavy cream in small saucepan and pour the heavy cream over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute then stir to combine. Transfer the chocolate sauce to a small serving bowl and serve with the warm churros.
To prep the Dulce de Leche
- Remove the store bought dulce de leche from the can and transfer to a small serving bowl. Serve with the warm churros and pretend you made it yourself 🙂