The holidays are in full swing and for me, that means getting to spend a little more time with my family which also means Honey BBQ Pulled Pork Burgers!!
For those of you following along on snapchat, you already knew I spent Thanksgiving up in Seattle with my husband and parents. And for those of you who don’t do snapchat, well now you know!! Besides the obvious family time and Thanksgiving dinner, that trip also meant a GIANT football game during rivals week. The whole Dalkin family went to University of Michigan. That is until it was time for me to go to college and I decided it was too cold there so I broke tradition and hightailed it to California. That said, I’m still a Michigan fan by birth. And when Michigan is playing, everyone in the fam parks it on the couch for the game. While we BARELY lost the game this year, we also won because I made the most epic Honey BBQ Pulled Pork Burgers!! I mean, EPIC. They were ah-mazing and they’ll be happening for family gatherings and game day events for the foreseeable future.
In case you forgot, I’m teaming up with the National Pork Board this season to bring you some of my favorite pork inspired recipes like this one! Remember that Ham and Cheese pasta from a few weeks back - it’s a game changer! And all of you posting pics of it on social media, when you make it at home, literally warms my heart! It’s an easy recipe that makes dinner a cinch. These Honey BBQ Pulled Pork Burgers take a bit longer but are equally as easy as my ham + cheese pasta. They take longer because we’re pulling out the slow cooker - but the prep time is basically equal to the simple ham+cheese pasta dish! Once the pork is cooked and shredded and ready to roll, it gets slathered on a brioche bun and topped with a red cabbage slaw which is the perfect complement to the pork. It’s perfect for cold winter days and I’ll be on repeat for ever and ever.
So if you’ve got pork on the brain, and need a recipe to feed a crowd… this is it!
PS!! This year the National Pork Board has a Pork Be inspired Facebook bot. Follow Pork Be inspired on Facebook and click “message” to talk to the Bot to discover new pork recipes. Plus, you can browse through even more recipes, tips and more at www.PorkBeinspired.com. You can also check out “Make It a Moment” videos, as well as fresh content from their other “Moment Makers,” (like me!) including Facebook Live recipe demos (coming on Wednesday!)
Be sure to follow them on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
Honey BBQ Pulled Pork Burgers
- 2 ½ pounds pork Shoulder
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1 small head red cabbage shredded
- 4 large carrots shredded
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Brioche Burger Buns buttered and toasted
- Sliced Jalapeños
- For the pulled pork, combine all the ingredients except the blade pork roast and the buns in a slow cooker or heavy bottom dutch oven and mix together with a spoon. Add the 2 pieces of blade pork roast and cover the slow cooker. Set for 8 hours on low. After 8 hours, using 2 forks, shred the pork and remove the pork with the remaining sauce into a large bowl.
- If you’re using a dutch oven, place over medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover and transfer to a 325 pre-heated oven: Cook for 2 to 4 hours, until fork tender: Let the pork cook undisturbed for 2 hours, then begin checking it every half hour. Total cooking time will be 2 to 4 hours. The pork is done when it is fork-tender. Then, remove from the oven and using 2 forks, shred the pork and remove the pork with the remaining sauce into a large bowl. Serve between toasted buns with any desired toppings.
- To make the slaw, combine the cabbage, carrots and onions in a large bowl. Whisk the mustard, garlic, oil, vinegar, lime juice and honey together. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Toss with the cabbage mixture. And let sit for 30 minutes. Assemble pulled pork burgers with pork, slaw, cilantro and jalapeños!
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking
Would a 2 lb pork loin with a good sized fat cap work for this recipe?
This looks amazing. Does anyone know how to make this with the instant pot? The slow cooker function doesn't work well on mine.
This recipe turned out ridiculously deliciously! My husband even mentioned that this was the single best pulled pork he'd ever had in his life. So we will definitely be keeping this recipe in our regular rotation!
These look AMAZING! Plan on making them this weekend for family. What do you suggest serving on the side?
maybe an extra serving of the slaw!!
How many does this recipe feed