Brussels Sprouts were always an off limits food for me up until a few months ago. I had never tried them and they always get such a bad reputation amongst many of my friends. Recently my boyfriend and I were out to dinner and he ordered a side of these. I was like WHAT! Why would you order Brussels Sprouts when you could order sweet potato fries, or creamed spinach or any number of other sides… but I guess he just wanted some Brussels Sprouts. When they arrived at my table I decided that I had to try them… and you know what… they were delicious. Granted they were soaked in butter and salt… but delicious nonetheless.
Seeing as how its the new year and I never cook with butter anyway, I wanted to remake this delicious side dish into something healthy.
Brussels Sprouts are pretty easy to find right now. They are at all of my local farmers market and they have them on the stalk at Trader Joes.
I wanted to add a little citrus flavor to this dish seeing as buttery flavor from the butter will be lost – so I used some of these fabulous lemons.
After they were sauteed and fully cooked I hit them with some grated gruyere cheese and some sea salt as well as freshly ground black pepper. They were perfect. Delicious. I want them for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next 3 days. Well, maybe not breakfast… but they were truly fantastic.
Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 2 lb Brussel Sprouts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 3 tbsp gruyere grated
- sea salt
- Clean the brussel sprouts by trimming off the ends and peeling the outer layer of the sprout off. Cut each one in half.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once heated, add the halved brussel sprouts to the pan and saute for about 7-8 minutes on each side until the outer part is a caramelized brown and the inside is soft and fully cooked.
- Add the garlic half way through the cooking.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed. Add the cheese on top and serve.