Everyone loves roasted carrots. They're simple to make, and they taste delicious. Plus, they're a great side dish for any kind of meal. If you're looking for a recipe that will teach you how to make the perfect roasted carrots, you've come to the right place. We'll show you how to do it step by step, and we'll give you some tips on how to make them even better. So read on for all the details!
The carrots are going wild right now at my Sunday farmers market - and you know I have zero self control which can only mean one thing... Roasted Carrots with Avocado and herb charred carrots are happening. This is such a great way to make carrots!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
I'm not quite sure you could call my current situation fall (as it's 88 degrees and sunny here in LA) but this is my fall vibe at the moment! Roasted Carrots that are tossed with an herb vinaigrette and then topped with avocado and a handful of arugula! This is my idea of the the perfect side dish or honestly lunch if you want to add a few pieces of roasted chicken or salmon or steak. This recipe serves at least 4 people as a salad or side dish, I've been known to devour an entire platter on my own. Clearly self control has never been my strong suit.
And while we're here, I have a public service announcement about Roasted Carrots: I used to think it was straight up whacky when people would leave the carrot tops on carrots and serve it at a restaurant. It was so chef-y and I was suspicious. But like most things in my life, (I mean hello, I didn't eat fish until I was in culinary school and that's only because my instructor forced me and told me if I'd ever amount to anything I needed to have an open mind) it took me a while to warm up to it and now I'm 100% up obsessed. Do it, trust me, and you can thank me later. They are delish and it makes prep for these Roasted Carrots that much easier!
Ingredients & Substitutions
For the Carrots:
- Heirloom Carrots trimmed and cleaned with ½ inch of the top remaining
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper freshly cracked
- Red Pepper Flakes
For the Vinaigrette:
- Shallot roughly chopped
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves tough stems removed
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Kosher Salt
For the Salad:
- Arugula a few handfuls
*For a full list of ingredients and instructions please see recipe card below.
How to Make Roasted Carrots With Avocado
Step 1: Place the trimmed carrots on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and toss to combine.
Step 2: In a blender combine the shallot, cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt. Pulse until smooth.
Step 3: Roast carrots at 425F in an oven for 25-40 minutes depending on the size of the carrots until soft on the outside with a bite on the inside (a little caramelized). Toss the roasted carrots with ½ cup of the cilantro mixture.
Step 4: Cut the avocado into wedges and add it to the carrots. Serve with some arugula strewn across the top, bottom or whatever floats your boat. Salt and pepper as needed.
How to Store Roasted Carrots With Avocado
The roasted carrots can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. The avocado oxidizes easily so I would only top as much as needed.
How to Freeze Roasted Carrots With Avocado
The roasted carrots can be frozen in freezer bags for 3-4 months. When time to use thaw them in the fridge overnight and heat them in the oven. If using in a stew or soup, you can add them without thawing.
Tips & Tricks
Leaving the tops on these makes them restaurant quality!
Do I need to peel the carrots?
When roasting, the peel can provide an earthy taste and better texture. However, if your carrots are dirty or you prefer peeling them, that is fine too.
Can I use non-heirloom carrots?
Absolutely!! You can use any type of carrot. Just make sure they are tender or you will have to adjust the roasting time. You can also slice them in half lengthwise, if needed.
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
The Perfect Roasted Carrots
For the Carrots
- 2 lbs heirloom carrots trimmed and cleaned with ½ inch of the top remaining
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves tough stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad
- 1 large avocado
- a few handfuls of arugula
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the trimmed carrots on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and toss to combine. Transfer to an oven and roast for 25-40 minutes depending on the size of the carrots until soft on the outside with a bite on the inside (a little caramelized)
- In a blender combine the shallot, cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt. Pulse until smooth.
- Toss the roasted carrots with ½ cup of the cilantro mixture.
- Cut the avocado into wedges and add it to the carrots.
- Serve with some arugula strewn across the top, bottom or whatever floats your boat. Salt and pepper as needed.