National Chip and Dip Day?!?! WHAT COULD BE MORE EXCITING? I’m celebrating with this insanely delish Roasted Onion Dip and ALL THE CHIPS!
Here we go team. Meet your new favorite dip - Roasted Onion Dip and your new favorite chips - Cape Cod Waves™ Potato Chips. First let’s talk dip…loaded with caramelized onions and shallots and herbs, plus sour cream and Greek yogurt, fresh chives and some of my favorite seasoning on earth. In one word… it’s perfect. And quite easy to whip up. And the onion / shallot mixture that is the base of this recipe is beyond. So much so that it might be a good idea to make a double batch because I found myself eating it by the spoonful before I could even get the ingredients together to make the dip.
I’m serving it up with the latest and greatest from Cape Cod® Potato Chips, their newest line, Cape Cod Waves™ Potato Chips,thick-sliced and wavy-cut potato chips that are PERFECT for scooping up a heaping helping of this Roasted Onion Dip. I mean, come on… does it get better than this? Doubtful.
Now all that’s left to do is hop on an actual flight to Cape Cod and make this exact recipe in some epic beachfront kitchen, serve it with these chips, maybe throw a lobster roll on the side and kick back and get ready to welcome summer. Sounds good?? How do we make this a reality?
Roasted Onion Dip
- 2 pounds large yellow onions thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Everything seasoning and thyme to garnish
- Cape Cod Waves™ Potato Chips for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°. Mix onions, shallots, thyme sprigs, and oil in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast onion mixture, stirring and scraping down sides of pan every 10 minutes, until mixture starts to break down and turn golden brown, 45–55 minutes.
- Discard thyme sprigs. Add wine and vinegar; stir to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Return onion mixture to oven. Continue roasting, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown and completely caramelized, about 15 minutes longer. Spread onion mixture out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- Transfer onion mixture to a work surface and finely chop. Transfer the onion mixture to a medium bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish. Stir in sour cream, chives, and yogurt. Season with salt, thyme and everything seasoning. Serve with Cape Cod Waves ™ Potato Chips.