Last year when we were in South Africa we went over to my mom’s childhood friends home for a home cooked meal and it was honestly one of the best lasagnas I’ve ever had in my life! It was loaded with all the veggies and the best bechamel sauce ever. I’ve been futzing with the recipe ever since I got home and this Roasted Vegetable Lasagna is one for the books!
The beauty of this recipe is that it works with WHATEVER vegetables are in your fridge. I’ve done it with a combination of zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant carrots, red bell peppers and mushrooms. The key is just making sure all the veggies are chopped in the same size so they roast evenly! Then just douse them with some olive oil, salt and pepper, toss to combine and roast until caramelized. Then they get layered into the pasta, and bechamel sauce and all that’s left to do it bake the lasagna until the cheese is golden and bubbly and EAT. Serve it up with a simple salad, I’m partial to this Kale Vegan Caesar and call it a day!
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
For the bechamel:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- some grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the vegetables
- 6 cups 1/2 inch chopped vegetables
- combination of zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant carrots, red bell peppers, mushrooms
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 package 9 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
For the bechamel
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for just a minute or so. Slowly add the milk and keep whisking. Add the nutmeg, pepper and salt and whisk. Cook for a few minutes, whisking, until the bechamel has thickened slightly. Set aside to cool. Stir it once in awhile so a skin doesn't form.
For the vegetables:
- Chop vegetables uniformly. Place the mixed vegetables on a baking sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Remove and give them a quick toss and continue roasting for 10-15 minutes more until vegetables are soft. Set aside to cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray. Spoon some bechamel thinly on the bottom of the pan. Start with a layer of noodles, a layer of bechamel, some vegetables, and then a layer of a little parmesan and mozzarella. Repeat layers until you have 3 layers of noodles. On top of the last layer, don't use any vegetables, just some bechamel and the remaining cheeses. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes, remove foil and bake for a little longer until top is slightly golden. Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.