I’m having a moment with Fennel Sausage, particularly on a pizza that’s accompanied with mozzarella, fennel and red pepper flakes. It’s the picture of perfection and it’s all coming your way today. Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza – let’s get into it!
I don’t know what happened but sometime in the last few years I’ve developed an affinity for fennel. Maybe I’m making up for lost time as I never had it before culinary school – but better late than never right? Italian Sausage always have fennel seed in it, so it’s readily available at your local market. Grab a package of it and sauté it up for some pizza toppings! Then grab some smoked mozzarella, a fresh bulb of fennel and some red onions along with a cup or so of pizza sauce and you’re in business. It can all go on top of your Delallo Pizza Kit which couldn’t be easier!
Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza
- 1 Delallo Italian Pizza Dough Kit
- 1-2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella cut into little squares
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella torn
- 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 red onion super thinly sliced
- Sliced scallion
- red pepper flakes kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Thirty minutes before cooking the pizza, put your pizza stone in the oven.
- Follow the directions on the Delallo Italian Pizza Dough kit to make the dough. Once the dough is ready, divide the pizza dough into 2 even pieces. Stretch each piece of dough in a circular motion, then lay them both out on a flat surface and flatten out using a rolling pin. If you have a pizza peel, sprinkle some flour on it and place the stretched out dough on the peel.
- Once your 2 pizza doughs are flat and ready to be cooked, spread the pizza sauce on top of each dough.
- Tear the mozzarella into pieces and top each pizza with equal amounts of the mozzarella and smoked mozzarella and season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and thinly sliced fennel and red onion. Transfer the pizzas into the oven and bake for 12-13 minutes until the crust is golden.
- Remove pizza from the oven and top with scallions. Season as needed and serve.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
Wow, this looks so good! I love homemade pizza recipes! 🙂
– Dani | http://www.styledvariety.com
What a perfect fall pizza with fennel and sausage. I’m in love with sweet italian sausage right now and I’m using it in all sorts of recipes. Happy weekend!
Yowzer! This looks incredible! Time to bring back Friday night pizza night!!
I love the post! Have a nice weekend:)
Gosh I love LOVE pizza and this recipe looks legit. Great job, pinned!
Now this is a fab looking pizza!! Nice Gaby!
Pizza is always a hit in our house!
One of the best pizzas I have ever had the pleasure of making and eating was with smoked mozzarella cheese, love smoked Mozzarella on just about anything so i have to give you Thumbs-Up on your recipe here. 🙂
This looks amazing! I gotta try that their pizza dough kit – such a time saver!
I made this today! LOVE the fennel! I used Italian chicken sausage. Turned out soo good!
What a great combination of flavors! I just have to work on getting my pizza dough to resemble a round shape! ❤️ Thank you for your creative, innovative recipes!
This looks delicious! Is it best to buy the sausage out of the casing? Thank you!
ya just the kind with the thin casing that you can squeeze out to saute!
Love this pizza and the dough kit is so easy!
Made this for dinner last night, but I grilled the pizza first and then finished it in the oven – it was delicious!! I was a little skeptical about not cooking the fennel first, but it may have been my favorite part of the pizza! So good!!!