It’s National Pi Day and I’m celebrating with my favorite kind of pie… a pizza pie! Caramelized Wild Mushroom Pizza for the win!
If you haven’t already listened to the Alton Brown podcast featuring yours truly, then you’re missing out. We talked all things food, drink, meatloaf, avocado toast and more. It was one of my favorite podcasts ever and in it we shared our mutual love for mushrooms. They get a bad rap, and in my opinion it’s because people don’t properly cook them.
They need lots of heat, plenty of fat and a sturdy cast iron pan. And you have to cook them until they are caramelized like in the picture above or below. None of those wimpy flimsy mushrooms here thankyouverymuch. Once you’ve cooked them to perfection, the flavor changes and they are fair game to use on a pizza.
So let’s get to that part! The Caramelized Wild Mushroom Pizza part. It’s a sheet pan pizza (the most common kind we make at home) and it has 3 kinds of cheeses on it for maximum flavor. Mozzarella, Fontina and Goat Cheese. Creamy, soft, tangy… oh it’s literal perfection. You’ll need this one stat.
Caramelized Wild Mushroom Pizza
- 1/2 pound pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 ½ cup caramelized wild mushrooms
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Maldon sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the wild mushrooms
- 1 lb wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the wild mushrooms
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for 8-10 minutes until they are soft and starting to caramelize. Season with salt and continue to cook until golden brown. Remove and drain any excess fat as needed.
For the pizza
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough thin. Transfer to an oiled baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 8 mins until lightly baked. Remove from oven and top with the garlic, mozzarella, fontina and caramelized mushrooms and put it back into the oven for about 6-10 minute until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, top with goat cheese, fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately