I’ll eat chicken parmesan in basically any form – but give me something that’s a bit lighter like this Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan Bake and I am here for it!
We’ve done chicken parmesan ever which way here on WGC over the past few years. I can’t help it. It’s truly my favorite dish of all times and the flavors that come along with it make me infinitely happy.
I’ll eat it in meatball form. Whip it up the traditional way. Load it up with some pasta. Or even throw the flavors on top of a pizza … you name it. Recently I made it into a bake with some spaghetti squash in the name of keeping things light and OMG it’s a keeper. The spaghetti squash acts exactly like a pasta and absorbs the flavors of the chicken parmesan mixture perfectly. Everything get baked into a skillet or casserole dish and topped with cheese. You can even go so far as to serve it with burrata if you want to be extra decadent!
The result is a perfectly baked Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan Bake / casserole-ish dish. It comes together in no time, especially if you bake the spaghetti squash off ahead of time and then toss it into the chicken once the recipe calls for it!
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan Bake
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 ball burrata cheese
- fresh basil or oregano to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Place the prepped spaghetti squash on a baking sheet, cut side up, and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until fork tender and easily shreddable, about 45-60 minutes. Remove and carefully shred the squash and transfer to a bowl
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the ground chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spaghetti squash, marinara sauce and red pepper flakes to the skillet with the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Add the parmesan and stir.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake on the top oven rack until hot and bubbling and the cheese turns golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Add burrata on top. And season with salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve