Brunch season is officially in full force. It’s one of my most favorite times of year and this Spinach Artichoke Strata is going to be making an appearance on the regular at all my brunch parties!
If you’ve never made a strata before, this is your MOMENT! It’s a bread / egg custard mixture that gets baked to golden brown perfection with all the cheesy bits and any kind of add-ins you prefer. I’m going with a spinach artichoke theme because hello, duh, it’s amazing and who doesn’t love that combo. Once it’s baked, you dish out servings to your friends and fam and let everyone go to town! The Spinach Artichoke Strata is total perfection!
And because we’re extra here on WGC…
we’re making it with the new Pyrex Deep baking dishes so we can have even more delicious goodness in each bite! And it serves more people so you can make it, pop the top on and bring it to a friend’s house for brunch and be the star of the show.
The new Pyrex Deep baking dishes are the deepest glass baking dish sold in the US which means you can fit 50% of whatever recipe you are making than your current glass bakeware. Brilliant in the case of this strata! But also if you’re making anything that requires layers and layers of goodness. Maybe it’s now a 14 layered dip instead of 7! Or a few extra layers of your favorite lasagna, or an extra deep carrot cake because MORE IS MORE. You can stack it, pack it, stuff it and love it forever and ever! So grab a few new baking dishes either online or at your local Walmart and get busy baking + making!
So without further ado… make this Spinach Artichoke Strata over the weekend and for all your brunch parties coming up… and feel free to send me an invite! I’m always available for strata!
Spinach Artichoke Strata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more as needed
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb. fresh spinach
- 1 15- ounce can artichoke hearts drained and quartered
- 1 1/2- lb. loaf french bread bread torn or cut into 1-inch squares and toasted (about 9 cups)
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add an extra 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add half of the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander. Repeat with another 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining spinach. Using a rubber spatula, press out the excess moisture once it’s all cooked.
- In a large bowl, toss together the toasted bread, caramelized onion, spinach, artichoke and cheeses. Transfer to a Pyrex Deep baking dish (7x11). In a bowl, beat together the eggs, heavy cream, the 1 teaspoon of salt and ¾ teaspoon of black pepper. Pour over the bread mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Transfer the Pyrex, foil and all, into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking until the top is browned and the strata is cooked through, 40 to 50 minutes more.