Get your party pants on! Chocolate Banana Cream Tart with an Oatmeal Cookie Crust is happening today and I'm ready to stuff the entire thing in my face.
Where do I even begin! This is everything you could ever want all rolled up into 1 dessert. Made with an oatmeal cookie crust, and then layered with a pastry cream, sliced bananas, drizzled dark chocolate and sliced almonds on top - it's seriously a dessert for the record books and it's going on my Easter brunch menu this year!
A few weeks back I spent the weekend at the Four Seasons Westlake where we made this tart for one of the dinners in the Wellness Kitchen. I couldn't get enough - so I snagged the recipe and took it home, made a few very minor tweaks, and then served it up for me, myself and I. Okay, in reality I shared it with my entire team at the studio and Thomas got a few slices here and there while I was tweaking. It's perfection.
Banana Chocolate Cream Tart
For the Crust
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons super finely chopped almonds
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
For the topping
- 3-4 bananas sliced on a bias
- 2-4 ounces dark chocolate melted
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, almonds, butter and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Spray a 9 inch tart pan with cooking spray. Press the crust mixture on the sides and bottom of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Start on the filling. In a small pot, bring the half and half and sugar to a simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Once warm, reduce heat to medium and whisk in the egg yolk and continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Add flour and pinch of salt and stir to combine. Lastly, add the butter and almond extract and stir to combine, remove from heat.
- Transfer the pastry cream into a bowl and chill for 30 minutes. Once chilled, pour the pastry cream into the chilled tart shell. Arrange banana slices on top and drizzle with the melted chocolate and sprinkle with the slivered almonds