Asparagus, Basil and Corn Salad pretty much just screams summer. It’s officially going onto my summer entertaining menu because it’s just so freaking happy! One of my girlfriends asked me to make a Asparagus and Corn salad for her so she could use the recipe at home… and so, being the amazing friend that I am, I went right on home and whipped one up. Okay, so really it took me a few days, but who’s counting. I decided that I wanted to jazz up the typical Asparagus and Corn salad and added a sprinkle of basil, some chopped mozzarella and a glug of balsamic vinegar. The result was a perfectly refreshing summer side dish that gets even better the longer the flavors have to marinate.
Now, you could totally use any old corn for this recipe, but I’ve recently learned how to use my grill all by myself. You see, I’ve always known how to use gas grills because I use them all the time for my personal chef clients, but ask me to light a charcoal grill and I will probably laugh at you and walk away. Well, that all changed recently. Now I am all grown up and know how to man a charcoal grill. (round of applause for me!!) So since I’ve developed this new skill – I have pretty much been obsessed with grilled corn. (See, I used it early this week on my Shrimp and Avocado Tostadas too) Don’t ask me why. It just kinda happened. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I thought it would be a great idea to buy about 10 ears of corn one day at the market, who knows. And let me just remind you, it’s only me and my boyfriend at home, and that’s a whole lotta corn for 2 people. But I’m sure glad I did, because this salad is a winner and you will love it! Promise.
- 4 ears corn, husks removed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 cup mozzarella balls, cut in half
- 10 basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare your grill.
- Rub the ears of corn with butter and place over the flame, rotating every few minutes until the corn is lightly charred. Remove from the grill and let cool. Once cooled, cut off the kernels and place into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Trim the asparagus and then cut it into 1 inch pieces. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus for about 3-4 minutes. Remove the asparagus and douse with cold water to stop the cooking. Add the asparagus to the bowl of corn.
- To the bowl of corn and asparagus, add the mozzarella, basil, salt, pepper, balsamic and olive oil. Gently combine with a fork and serve. Can be served at room temperature or chilled.
Want another great recipe using charred corn – how about some charred corn guacamole!