Tostadas are one of my all time favorite dinners because they just look so darn festive! Plus, I’m kind of obsessed with frying my own tostada shells and then making a few homemade chips for snacking too 🙂 I’m still in full on avocado mode here in LA, and have been cooking up a storm using fresh California Avocados! I know that avocados can be found year round, but California Avocado season is over in the fall so I’ve decided that it’s my duty to eat as many avocados as humanly possible in the time being.
For this tostada I used a base of my spicy refried beans because ever since I made them, I’ve been making them in bulk and using them in just about everything! On top of the beans I piled some charred corn, mashed avocado with lime juice and chives, chopped red bell peppers and some spicy garlic sauteed shrimp. Serve this alongside some brown rice and you’ve got one complete, and colorful, meal!
These are also perfect for entertaining! You can make all the toppings and set them out on your counter and let your guests create their own tostada creations. Whip up a few freshly squeezed margaritas if that’s your thing and call it a party!
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 3 California Avocado
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup refried beans
- 4 ears of corn, grilled and kernels removed
- 1/2 lb medium sized shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat the grapeseed oil over medium high heat until almost smoking. Add the toritllas into the oil, one at a time, and fry on each side for about 1-2 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove with tongs and set aside to dry on a paper towel. Repeat process with other corn tortillas.
- In a small bowl, place the avocado and chives and lime juice. Mash with a fork, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with the cayenne and garlic powder as well as salt and pepper. Saute in a medium skillet with 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil for 2-3 minutes on each side until pink and cooked.
- Spread the 1/4 cup of refried beans on top of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle on the charred corn
- Spread a layer of the mashed avocado chive mixture on top.
- Top the mashed avocado with the red bell pepper
- Finish with a few shrimp.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!