One of my favorite meals as a kid was Cacio e Pepe! Today I’m upping the ante with Cacio e Pepe with Brussels Sprouts. Because really, it’s the right thing to do!
Cacio e Pepe is quite simply pasta with pepper and a whole boat load of cheese. Can you complain? I think not. Except if you’re my husband than eating “just” pasta for dinner doesn’t really count as a meal. But if I throw in a veggie here and there then it’s 100% considered dinner. Don’t ask me where the logic comes from… all I know was that I was pumped to add some deeply sautéed Brussels sprouts to the traditional pasta dish call it dinner.
- Kosher salt
- 6 oz. wheat pasta spaghetti
- 5 ounces shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Season with salt and add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain the rest. Place the pasta aside for a moment.
- In a large skillet, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the cracked black pepper and stir to combine.
- Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked pasta and reduce heat to low. Add the grated Parmesan and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat and add the grated Pecorino, stirring and tossing until melted. If the pasta still looks a bit dry, add the remaining reserved water and toss to combine. Transfer pasta to a serving dish and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!