Can I just express my absolute obsession with Chicken Schnitzel? I’m in LOVE!
We’ve been making this since I was a little munchkin and I will never get enough. According to Thomas, this is a glorified chicken nugget. However, I like to jazz it up a bit by adding some spices and topping it off with a generous squeeze of lemon and a pinch of freshly chopped chives.
When I ask Thomas what he wants for dinner, 9 times out of 10 he answers with Schnitzel, and 9 times out of 10 I actually make it for him! What a concept – it’s that simple.
We’re making these step by step, so here it goes!
Start with a few chicken breasts…
Place them in a plastic bag and pound them so they are about 1/3 – 1/2 inch thick throughout.
*TIP: I use a meat mallet to pound the chicken, but if you don’t have one, you can use a heavy bottom pot or pan.
Prepare a breading station with flour, whisked eggs and Panko bread crumbs. I like to add a touch of salt, pepper, lemon zest and garlic powder to the flour mixture to ensure perfect seasoning.
Place each piece of chicken in the flour, coating both sides, and shaking off any excess. Next, dunk the chicken into the eggs, let any excess liquid drain off, then coat with a healthy dose of bread crumbs!
Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, carefully place one piece of the breaded chicken into the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip it over to finish cooking. Each piece should be golden brown on both sides.
Remove all the chicken to a paper towel lined plate, to absorb any excess oil and give each breast a generous squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of freshly chopped chives, and season with salt as needed.
Serve it up with a side of Omi’s potatoes and make someone else do the dishes 🙂
auf Wiedersehen friends!
- 4 4-6 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly chopped chives
- Lemon wedges
- Place the chicken breasts in a plastic bag, one at a time, and pound them so they are about 1/2 inch thick throughout its entirety.
- Prepare 3 bowls, one with flour, salt, pepper, lemon zest and the garlic powder, one with whisked eggs and the last with Panko bread crumbs.
- Place each piece of chicken in the flour, coating both sides, and shaking off any excess.
- Next dunk it into the whisked egg – let any excess liquid drain off.
- Next, coat it with the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, carefully place one piece of Chicken Schnitzel into the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes and then flip it over to finish cooking. Each piece should be golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the chicken to a paper towel lined plate and repeat the process with the remaining chicken. Once all the chicken is cooked, give it all a generous squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of freshly chopped chives, and season with more salt as needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!