You see, I’ve made s’mookies before. A few years ago I decided they would be the perfect treat for my boyfriends birthday – and then somehow they slipped my mind. I’m not quite sure how that happened, see as how they are the best dessert ever and you feel like a kid eating them, but somehow it did. As I was prepping for a big kids birthday party last weekend, I stumbled across these on my site and knew they would be the perfect dessert for all the kids at the party – and adults too! Smookies are a fun dessert – they are messy – and boy are they delicious!
A combination of a cookie and s’more – the normal graham cracker is replaced by your favorite cookie. Stuff the 2 cookies with some marshmallows and homemade ganache, wrap them in tin foil and throw them on the grill for a few minutes to heat everything through. When you’re ready to unwrap this little package of goodness you will have a total sweet tooth satisfying dessert!
A quick dusting of Maldon sea salt on top of the dough, pre-baking, really sends these s’mookies over the top – but it’s totally optional!
|Chocolate Chip S’mookies|
Recipe Type: Dessert
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
The Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is adapted from the NY Times.
- 8 ½ oz cake flour
- 8 ½ oz bread flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. coarse salt,
- 10 oz. unsalted butter, softened
- 12 oz. dark brown sugar
- 6 oz. white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ pounds chocolate chips
- For the Cookies: Combine the cake flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and course salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixer add the butter and sugars and mix for 5 minutes until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl in between. Add the vanilla and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix until just combine. Be sure not to over mix (as we don’t want to create more gluten by heavily mixing the flours).
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Cover and refridgerate dough for 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop 1/4 cup sizes dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet, 6 cookies per sheet.
- Baking for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To assemble the S’mookies: Take 2 cooled cookies and on the bottom on one, add 2 tbsp of ganache (4 oz of bittersweet chocolate with 1/2 cup of hot heavy cream, stir to combine and melt) and 2 marshmallows. Top with the other cookie and wrap in tin foil. Place into a 350 degree oven or on a bbq for 6-8 minutes until the marshmallow is warm and has started to expand. Serve immediately
Tags: cake flour, Chocolate, chocolate chip, Chocolate Chip Cookie, chocolate chip cookie recipe, Cookies, Desserts, smookie, smore, snack foods