DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowl. I think so. I’m a sucker for Chipotle. It’s hands down my favorite fast food restaurant and their guacamole is to die for. I mean, it doesn’t even come close to mine, but for a quick fix… it’s the best on the market.
The Chipotle Burrito Bowl is a way of life for us. Any time we’re on the road and don’t have much time or a solid rec for a place to start, the answer is always Chipotle.
But sometimes you want all the goodness of a Chipotle Burrito Bowl but you don’t actually want to leave your house. So I’m making a DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowl so we can all enjoy these little bowls of heaven on a regular basis.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup pinto beans (warmed)
- 1 cup frozen charred corn (warmed)
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup finely shredded monterey jack cheese
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place it into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Chop the chicken into small bite sized pieces and use as needed.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the white rice and lime juice and sauté for 60 seconds to toast the rice.
- Add the water and bring the rice to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed.
- Add in the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
- Arrange equal parts of the white rice and chopped grilled chicken in 4 bowls. Top with equal parts of the pinto beans, corn, guacamole, pico and cheese. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!