Have you heard of The Homesick Texan?? Well, pretty much you need to know her, and her food, and her gorgeous photography both on her website and her new cookbook! Lisa Fain, aka the Homesick Texan, is probably one of the first bloggers I ever started to follow when I jumped into the blogging world. Her recipes are truly fantastic and they are all right up my alley with the flavors and spice and southwestern flair. I’m pretty sure I was meant to live in Texas, at least for some period of my life, because I am all about the Texas style of cooking. So it’s safe to say that when I unwrapped this cookbook, I was pretty much jumping for joy. I read it front to back, twice. And then immediately went to the market to pick up ingredients for a few recipes. They. Are. All. Amazing. Literally, each recipe looks like it belongs in my belly. I’m seriously going to cook my way through this book in the next few weeks.
The Homesick Texan is full of drool worthy recipes from, Cheese Enchiladas, Gorditas with Picadillo, Austin Style Black Beans, Biscuits and Gravy, Chicken Fried Steak and of course Guacamole! And then there are the carnitas. Bring on the carnitas. I’m all about the pig. I like pork pretty much any way you slice it… but I will always have a soft spot for carnitas. And these Homesick Texan carnitas are ah-mazing.
AND… because The Homesick Texan is such an amazing and beautiful book and I don’t think anyone should have to live without it – I am giving away 2 copies thanks to the fabulous people over at Hyperion!
To enter, just leave a quick comment telling me your favorite Texas inspired dish of all times!! Mine – definitely carnitas with a side of spicy guacamole.
For a second entry, What’s Gaby Cooking on Facebook, then return here leaving another comment saying you did so.
The giveaway begins today, Friday, September 16, 2011, and ends next Friday, September 23rd, at Midnight PST. Winners will be announced that evening and then the winners books will be shipped out shortly after.
Here’s the quick link to the book on Amazon too!
Here’s the quick run down on the mouth watering Carnitas from The Homesick Texan Cookbook….
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Place the pork in a large dutch oven with the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin and salt. Add enough water to barely cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, (and by this point your house will smell awesome) turn the heat up to medium high, and continue to cook the pork for 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while, until all the liquid has evaporated and the pork fat as been rendered.
- Once the pork is browned on both sides, it's ready to eat. Taste and season with a little extra salt if needed.