One of my favorite parts about this time of the year is the farmers market. Every way you look there is some brightly colored ingredient just waiting to be made into something fabulous. I hit up the Santa Monica farmers market this week and stocked up on an obscene amount of fresh produce. I mean, after eating out for every meal in NYC, I needed some home cooking stat! Not to mention the fact that I’m getting married in exactly 140 days and I have a bachelorette party in even less time than that, and bikinis are involved. Bikinis people. I just spent the last week stuffing my face in NYC with lots of amazing pork, cheese, cookies, and cocktails. You do the math. More vegetables in my immediate future.
This Lemon Panko Parmesan Asparagus is basically the best asparagus dish on the face of the earth. I kid you not. I mean we all know how fantastic roasted asparagus can be, but when you pair it with a lemon toasted panko topping and then sprinkle on some parmesan cheese… I mean come on. It’s not even fair to the other side dishes out there. It’s kinda tough to compete with perfectly roasted asparagus that’s got the perfect amount of tenderness to crispness (is that even a word?) ratio and then smothered in a crunchy lemon topping and then finished with salty parmesan cheese.
It would however be the perfect side dish on your table this weekend if you’re throwing a little Easter Brunch. Or even if you’re not hosting a brunch, this still should make an appearance in your home asap. It’s pretty much like vegetable candy. Thomas, my fiance, and I were literally fighting over who got the last asparagus spear. It’s just that good. Make it. Feed it to your friends, your family, your kids. They will be totally obsessed.
- 1 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lay the trimmed asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the herbs de provence on top and place into the oven. Roast for about 15 minutes until just tender.
- While the asparagus is roasting, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the panko and stir for 3-4 minutes until the panko is golden brown. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the lemon juice and zest and stir. Transfer the panko to a paper towel lined plate and let cool.
- Once the asparagus is done, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter and sprinkle with the panko mixture. Add the parmesan cheese on top and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Inspired by Martha Stewart
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!