Ok are you ready for Pizza Monkey Bread. It will kinda change your life. And maybe your waistline. But it’s 100% worth it and so freaking delicious! Imagine a pull apart pizza with herbs and cheese and a warm pizza dipping sauce. It’s good. And way too addicting. And both kids and adults alike will totally fall in love with this snack/appetizer!
I’ve seen Monkey Bread made from scratch or with pre-made biscuit dough from the market. Either would be equally awesome in my book, but I’ve been experimenting with yeast doughs recently and decided to be bold and make the dough from scratch. Once the dough has been made, rested and done it’s thing, you then dunk it in butter, cheese, herbs and garlic. Try not to drop your jaw at the sound of that Stick these suckers in mini bundt pans and into the oven they go! A little while later you will have piping hot Pizza Monkey Bread ready to dip into red sauce. Hallelujah!
Prep time: 60 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 1 hour 25 mins
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups Bread flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 2/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 Scallions, chopped
- 10 Basil Leaves, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Marinara or Pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Bread flour, AP flour and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the active yeast and water in a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook. Let it sit for a few minutes to make sure your yeast is working. Add the sugar and mix for a quick second. Add the flour mixture in batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Let the dough hook work its magic for 5-6 minutes until the dough has come together into a large mass. Remove the dough to an oiled bowl and let rise for 60 minutes.
- After an hour, remove the dough from the bowl and cut into small 1/2 inch cubes. Dust with flour to prevent them from sticking together. Set aside.
- Butter and flour 6 small bundt pans. (You could also use a large bundt pan)
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Combine the cheese, herbs, salt/pepper and garlic in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and mix together with a spoon. Toss in the cut dough and make sure it all gets a coat of the butter mixture. Start layering the cubes into the bundt pans until they are 3/4 of the way full. Let sit for 30 minutes for the dough to rise a little more.
- Place bundt pans into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the bread and cheese is golden brown. Serve with warmed marinara sauce or pizza sauce.
Tags: Bread, bread flour, breads, bundt pans, dip, monkey bread, Pizza, pizza bread, pizza bread recipe, pizza dip, Pizza Monkey Bread, pizza sauces, sauce, savory monkey bread