Will we ever get sick of pizza recipes? Doubtful. There are just too many great combos and todays screams summer! Charred Tomato Pesto Pizza. It's half flatbread / half pizza and it's easy!
I learned the hard way that burrata is better when it's either cold, room temp or just SLIGHTLY warm. If you try and use burrata like a mozzarella and melt it in the oven, it just gets watery and sloppy. And seeing as how my burrata obsession is in no way, shape or form, going anywhere, I've mastered the art of adding burrata to a pizza.
The key is adding the cheese at the last minute. You bake the crust until it's golden and crisp. Then slather it with my addictive basil vinaigrette and THEN, and only then, do you add the burrata. That way the residual heat from the pizza crust just barely warms the cheese! You're welcome. Consider your burrata game forever changed for the better.
Charred Tomato Pesto Pizza
For the Pizza
- ½ pound pizza dough
- 2 cups fresh burrata cheese torn
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup basil vinaigrette recipe below
- 1 cup charred cherry tomatoes recipe below
- Maldon sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the Charred Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Basil Vinaigrette
- ½ cup Basil Vinaigrette
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium baking dish, toss the cherry tomatoes with the garlic, shallot and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil 6 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes pop and brown lightly.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough thin. Transfer to an oiled baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Bake 8-12 mins till golden. Remove from oven and top with the basil vinaigrette and fresh burrata and red pepper flakes. Let the burrata melt a bit before topping with the charred cherry tomatoes. Slice and serve immediately.
Hi, could you use naan bread for this in a pinch?
One of the best pizzas I’ve ever made!
I used my own dough and mashed the tomatoes up a little more than the picture shows and it was incredible.
Ran out of homemade pesto, so I used guacamole instead and it was delicious. Thank you so much. My friend and I enjoyed this as a "happy hour" appetizer.
Can’t wait to try......do you ever freeze the basil vinaigrette......I have an abundance of basil in my garden?!!
all the time!! I freeze in ice cube trays
This pizza recipe sounds amazing! I wonder can I substitute goat cheese?
This looks delish. Can I cook it in my Breville pizza oven? Any changes/adjustments necessary? Thanks!!
you sure can - the breville doesnt take so long to bake so just follow the instructions that came with the Breville
We grilled pizzas in the Big Green Egg for the first time last night, and this was by far the biggest hit! (And why have I never grilled pizza before?? Amazing!) I'm loving everything in your cookbook too!
Made this twice and LOVED it both times! Do you have any recommendations on a side dish?
I would do my green monster salad or my spicy garlic green beans
I made this, it was pretty good, but waaaaaay too much salt!
how much salt did you use? everything says salt to taste!
My gosh I love this~ You are just too good my dear. Can you be my personal chef?
This looks amazing! I love charred tomatoes in/on/with anything! And great tips about burrata, too.
I love everything about this amazing pesto pizza recipe! Yummy!
Mmmmm. I love the sound of the basil vinaigrette on the pizza. Seems like it will taste so light and fresh. I am not waiting for summer to make this one!!
Yum! I love pesto on pizza!