When pasta meets enchiladas, it’s basically the best thing to ever happen and that's exactly what's going on with this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake. (Also just for fun you should check out and try my fav enchilada recipe, these epic green chicken enchiladas because yes they are that good! )
Quick and easy weeknight meals are the name of the game for me. I might not be a parent yet, but between my husband and I we are running around like crazy people during the week. A simple but delicious dinner is exactly what we want come dinner time and this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake fits the bill perfectly.
It’s basically the most glorious dinner and it all came about when I was out of traditional pasta sauce and only had Mexican ingredients on hand. Typical. I do love a taco night and if I ever was running low on Old El Paso enchilada sauce, I might have a small panic attack. Anyways, I did a mash up of pasta and chicken enchiladas (my husbands favorite meal) and the rest is history! It’s perfectly easy to make and it doubles as leftovers for a few days too! Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake for the win!!
Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake
- 2 cups medium shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs sliced into thin strips
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups grated monterey jack cheese
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large skillet. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and some garlic powder and sauté until cooked, about 10 minutes, then remove onto a plate. Chop into small pieces.
- Add extra oil if the skillet if needed. Add onion and garlic, cook for 90 seconds until starting to soften. Add bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce and bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for cook down for 15 minutes. Once simmering, add the pasta and chicken and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese then broil until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serve.