If you’re looking for the most comforting and easy dinner – look no further! This Chicken Rice and Cheese Casserole is truly perfection!
Back in the old Tucson days, this Chicken Rice and Cheese Casserole was a staple at one of my best friends houses. Her mom was an incredible cook and I remember calling every week or so and asking what was on the menu for dinner so I could go join. (side note- this ice box cake was her moms idea too so you understand how genius this woman is!) This Chicken Rice and Cheese Casserole made an appearance quite often because it’s basically taking leftovers from the night before and transforming them into something special.
Have some leftover rice – done. Perhaps you have some rotisserie chicken from the store left in the fridge from a sandwich – game on. Then all you need are a few pantry staples to make this an incredible skillet bake and dinner is on the table in less than 20 minutes. And it’s HEAVY on the cheese. Next time you’re in a rut for what to make for dinner, go ahead and whip up this recipe and I promise you’ll be sold. It’ll be the fastest addition to your weekly dinner routines ever!
Chicken Rice and Cheese Casserole with Salsa and Sautéed Onions
- 1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup canned refried beans
- 1 cup frozen charred corn
- 2 yellow onions diced and sauteed until golden
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 ½ cup tomatillo salsa
- 1-2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- finely chopped scallions and cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Once cooked, remove from heat and transfer the cooked rice into a large bowl.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the shredded colby jack cheese, ½ cup of the shredded mozzarella, corn, onions, chicken, green chiles and salsa. Season the entire mixture with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Lightly spray a medium sized skillet with non-stick spray, and line the bottom with the refried beans. Transfer the mixture into the skillet. Top with the remaining shredded cheeses and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the top layer of cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and garnish with green onions and cilantro and serve.