It doesn’t get more festive that a big batch of Coconut Chocolate Baklava around the holiday season!
Baklava is a classic dessert that I’ve totally upped the ante on to make this new version! I’ve stuffed this baklava with vanilla, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, mini chocolate chips and agave nectar! Once it’s baked it’s topped with a vanilla infused syrup and it promises to be a seriously amazing dessert!
Whip this up the day before you’re expecting company so the flavors have plenty of time to meld together to ensure optimum deliciousness
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 20 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9" x 14")
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 1-½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the coconut, walnuts, milk, agave and vanilla in a bowl. Mix to combine, then set aside.
- Lightly grease a half sheet pan with non-stick baking spray. Layer 10 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with the melted butter before adding the next. Top the 10 butter sheets with the entire coconut chocolate mixture. Layer the remaining 10 sheets, brushing each sheet with butter before adding the next.
- Cut the baklava into a diamond or square shape pattern before baking.
- Transfer the sheet pan into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it’s golden brown on top. Remove the baklava from oven and let cool for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Combine the water and sugar in a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes and then reduce the heat to a simmer, and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot syrup over the baklava. Let stand, uncovered, for at least 4 hours or better yet, overnight.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!