Here’s the deal… we all love a traditional Crispy Rice Treat right? But what if we upped the ante a bit, used browned butter, upped the marshmallow ratio and finished it with flaky salt? Game over right? Browned Butter Thick and Chewy Crispy Rice Treats are coming in HOT.
It’s holiday season and you know what that means – random visitors that just pop by to say hi. Maybe it’s the fact that my friends know I have food coming out of my kitchen at all times… but the amount of text messages saying, “I’m in the area, we’re coming to visit,” is at an all-time high! I can never let friends leave empty-handed – so having some Browned Butter Thick and Chewy Crispy Rice Treats on-hand is imperative. You can make these at any time, wrap them up, freeze or refrigerate them, and serve them to friends for a little treat. Just don’t serve frozen – let them come to room temp so you can appreciate the gooey butter deliciousness.
Let’s discuss why these ratios and ingredients are better than those listed on the box….
#1 – browned butter. Butter is delicious no matter how you spin it – but that nutty, delicious browned butter is NEXT LEVEL amazing. I make mine with Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter and it’s true perfection.
#2 – extra marshmallows. Do you even need to ask why? If the marshmallow ratio isn’t aggressively large, why even bother?
#3 – flaky sea salt. This brings out all the flavor and it’s a fun extra crunch.
So, if you’re smart… you’ll stock up on Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter along with the rest of these ingredients. Then, go make these Browned Butter Thick and Chewy Crispy Rice Treats. They are truly life-altering.
Recipe inspired by The Very Best Cookie in the Whole Wide World RKT’s!!! If you don’t want to make these, or need to send an incredible edible gift to a friend… she’s your girl. She ships nation wide and her RKT’s are LIFE.
Browned Butter Thick and Chewy Crispy Rice Treats
- 8 ounces Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter plus more for buttering parchment
- 2 10-ounce bags marshmallows
- 10 cups crispy rice cereal
- Flaky sea salt (optional but heavily encouraged)
- Line a 9×9 or 9×13 baking sheet pan with parchment paper. (9×9 will result in a thicker treat, 9×13 will be slightly more thin)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. It will melt first, and then foam. After it foams, it will start to turn brown and smell nutty. Watch closely and stir often.
- As SOON as the butter is golden brown, stir in marshmallows. Melt and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Turn off heat, add cereal and mix carefully. Pour into the prepared pan and press down lightly. Sprinkle with flaky salt to finish. Let cool and cut into squares or bars.
This post is brought to you by Land O Lakes®. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking*