If you’ve never had Halloumi, your life is about to change. Fried Halloumi Tacos are the name of the game this season.
Someone in the super secret What’s Gaby Cooking Facebook group asked about Halloumi the other day and it got me thinking about tacos!! If you’ve never tried Halloumi before – get ready! It’s an unripened brined cheese that has a super high melting point which means one thing… it can be PAN FRIED and/or grilled. Brilliant.
Essentially you cook it in a little oil to crisp it up which results in a crispy crust on the outside of the cheese. You can put it on salads or pair it with veggies. Eat it plain or add it into a bowl. Throw it with some fresh watermelon in the summer months…you name it. Or you can throw it on top of guacamole and smash into a charred tortilla. It’s perfection as far as vegetarian tacos go! These are the name of the game! Especially as we wait for spring to roll in and for taco season to really start!
- 8-10 ounces Halloumi cheese
- Olive oil for frying
- Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes for seasoning
- 8 small flour or soft corn tortillas
- 1 recipe Charred Corn Guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Lemon or lime wedges for serving
- Drain the halloumi and cut it into cubes or strips. Pat the cubes very dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the halloumi and cook for a few minutes without stirring, until the bottoms are well-browned. Turn the halloumi cubes with a pair of tongs, and brown them on the other sides.
- Transfer the fried cheese to a bowl and season with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Heat each tortilla over an open flame until pliable.
- Line half of each tortilla with guacamole. Top with fried halloumi. Sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with lemon and lime wedges.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!