If you’ve never had Halloumi, your life is about to change. Fried Halloumi Tacos are the name of the game this season.
Someone in the super secret What’s Gaby Cooking Facebook group asked about Halloumi the other day and it got me thinking about tacos!! If you’ve never tried Halloumi before – get ready! It’s an unripened brined cheese that has a super high melting point which means one thing… it can be PAN FRIED and/or grilled. Brilliant.
Essentially you cook it in a little oil to crisp it up which results in a crispy crust on the outside of the cheese. You can put it on salads or pair it with veggies. Eat it plain or add it into a bowl. Throw it with some fresh watermelon in the summer months…you name it. Or you can throw it on top of guacamole and smash into a charred tortilla. It’s perfection as far as vegetarian tacos go! These are the name of the game! Especially as we wait for spring to roll in and for taco season to really start!
Fried Halloumi Tacos
For the Halloumi cheese
- 8-10 ounces Halloumi cheese
- Olive oil for frying
- Kosher salt freshly cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes for seasoning
For the Tacos
- 8 small flour or soft corn tortillas
- 1 recipe Charred Corn Guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Lemon or lime wedges for serving
- Drain the halloumi and cut it into cubes or strips. Pat the cubes very dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the halloumi and cook for a few minutes without stirring, until the bottoms are well-browned. Turn the halloumi cubes with a pair of tongs, and brown them on the other sides.
- Transfer the fried cheese to a bowl and season with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Heat each tortilla over an open flame until pliable.
- Line half of each tortilla with guacamole. Top with fried halloumi. Sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with lemon and lime wedges.
Yep, I’m with YOU halloumi is one of my fave because it is so versatile
I have never even heard of that cheese! However, I have never met a cheese I didn’t like! Is it hard to find? I know you’re a huge Trader Joe’s fan… Is it there?
I haven’t seen it at TJ’s but its at Ralphs, Safeway and Whole Foods
I am so jelly belly of this fried halloumi!! I would just give anything to eat a FRIED CHEESE taco!
Never had it. Want it now!!
Love the use of halloumi in tacos!
I’m going to need to try Halloumi! Looks delicious!
I need this as soon as possible!!! Sounds fantastic!
I’ve tried halloumi but never in tacos….what am I doing???
Thank you Gaby, halloumi cheese is wonderful. I’ve had in a salad with grilled peaches!
Will try the tacos!
Have you ever tried halloumi with your basil dressing and fried mushrooms? Great on top of a burger!
Omg, I was recently telling a friend halloumi tacos would be awesome, and I just now saw this. Clearly, I need to make these!!
These were so good! We wound up cutting the halloumi into flat planks– about the size needed to fill the taco– and this made assembly a little easier. But the flavors are delicious and we’ll definitely be adding this to our regular dinner rotation.
These Tacos have become a weekly staple. They’re easy, delicious and just different enough to be interesting
These tacos are a weekly staple at our house now. They’re easy, delicious and just different enough to be interesting.
My husband is allergic to avocado, what would you recommend instead to dress the tacos?
maybe the tomatillo salsa on my site!
Easy & delicious!!