It’s officially Spring. Summer is right around the corner and I’m ready to throw some backyard BBQ fiestas that involves making the best fish tacos ever: Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos and ALL THE GUACAMOLE!
If you follow along on snapchat, you’ll know I’m a bit of a condiment snob. I’m SUPER particular about what I make at home and what I buy from the store. Not any kind of ketchup or dipping sauce will do - it HAS to be the best! So whenever I make something that REALLY speaks to me, I usually make it in bulk and go crazy. No shame in that game! These Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos are epic but the Avocado Tomatillo Salsa on top is what makes them shine. It’s 2 of my favorite ingredients - avocado and tomatillos (hello perfection) mixed into a sauce that you could also totally use as a salad dressing - but it’s also totally fair game to be used as a sauce, salsa, or anything else along those lines. Hello, avocado makes sense everywhere! I should know - I wrote a whole cookbook on them!
So today it’s grilled Mahi Mahi, rolled up into a taco with a lightly dressed slaw, slices of avocado (because more is more), pico de gallo, and some of the Creamy Avocado Tomatillo Salsa on top. Picture perfect. Literally and figuratively. Whip this up the second the sun is shining on your patio and you can fire up the grill. Or if you’re stuck inside for a few more weeks - fire up an indoor grill pan and you’ll get the same results! Why stop there? Keep the seafood recipes coming all summer long! Try out my epic Sea Bass Ceviche recipe next. Game Changing!
Let's talk about making the perfect fish tacos:
How to Make a Homemade Blackening Seasoning:
This is one of my favorite seasonings to use. It's loaded with chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne. All of which are dark red spices so when cooked, it turns a very dark red/blackish color. It packs a little bit of spice so if you want to tone it down, cut the cayenne in half.
Can I use a different type of fish in this recipe?
Absolutely - any firm white fish is great. Sea Bass, Halibut and Tilapia would all work!
How do I cut mahi mahi?
You really don't need to cut the mahi mahi. Once it's cooked, it should flake apart very easily
Do you remove the skin from mahi mahi before cooking?
I don't! It's much easier to remove the skin from fish once it's cooked. If you do want to remove it beforehand, use a really good fish knife to carefully slice it off.
How long is mahi mahi good for in the fridge after thawing?
If you're buying previously frozen fish, it's best to use it as soon as it thaws!
How do you know when mahi mahi is fully cooked?
You'll know it's cooked through when it starts to flake apart. The great thing about cooking mahi mahi is that it's a forgiving fish so it's hard to overcook it.
Can I use a different fruit in the salsa?
Absolutely! I've done it with pineapple, strawberries and kiwis!! Anything tropical is great!
Here are some other awesome taco recipes:
Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
- 1 pound Mahi Mahi or Cod Fish
- olive for for drizzling
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime
- 8 -10 corn tortillas warmed
- Sliced Avocados
- 1 recipe Pico de Gallo
- 4-6 tablespoons of Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
For the slaw:
- ¼ small red cabbage sliced super thin
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill over medium high heat. Drizzle the fish with a touch of olive oil and season it with the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Grill the fish on the pre-heated grill for 5-6 minutes on each side until fully cooked. The fish should flake easily and there should be a golden brown crust.
- Remove the fish from the grill and squeeze the fresh lime juice over the fish. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Make the slaw:
- Combine all the ingredients together and toss to combine.
- To assemble, place a bit of the slaw on the warmed tortilla, followed by few large pieces of the flaked fish, top with the pico de gallo and sliced avocado and drizzle with as much Avocado Tomatillo Salsa as you wish and serve immediately.