VERY excited for this recipe you guys – Leek Confit Pizza. Brace yourselves.
I’ve been on a leek confit train for the last few months. I made it back in July or August for another recipe and then proceeded to eat it with a spoon until it was gone. Rinse and repeat every week, bottom line… I cannot get enough. Leeks in general are just EVERYTHING.
For those of you who haven’t had or heard of Leek Confit before, it’s basically thinly sliced leeks that are cooked in oil or butter over medium/low heat for 30ish minutes until they are soft and melt in your mouth delicious. The result is PERFECTION. You can add it to any sort of protein, fold it into pasta, put it on veggies, eat it with a spoon like you’re an animal, you name it. Today, it’s the base of this Leek Confit Pizza and OMG IT’S PERFECTION.
So here’s the deal. Pizza dough slathered with leek confit, piled high with 2 kinds of cheese, seasoned and baked to perfection. You can add a handful of seasoned arugula on top if you want to give it a pop of color and freshness! Trust me when I tell you… it’s is one of the best pizzas I’ve ever made and Leek Confit Pizza is on repeat for the foreseeable future.
And a word about the leek confit: it lasts in the fridge for a while!! You can freeze if you want to save it for more than a week!
Leek Confit Pizza
For the Pizza:
- 1 lb Pizza Dough
- 1-2 cups shredded gruyere
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella torn into pieces
- 1 lemon
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1-2 cups arugula, tossed with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice
For the Leek Confit
- 5 pounds leeks (about 3 bunches), trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan set over medium heat until the oil shimmers. Add the leeks, season with the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes; be careful not to allow them to burn.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are completely softened and somewhat translucent, 28 to 30 minutes. Uncover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting on your stove. Add the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until any liquid released by the leeks while cooking has been almost fully absorbed, another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a container and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees
- Divide the pizza dough into 2 even pieces. Stretch each piece of dough in a circular motion, then lay them both out on a flat surface and flatten out using a rolling pin. If you have a pizza peel, sprinkle some flour on it and place the stretched out dough on the peel.
- Once your 2 pizza doughs are flat and ready to be heated, use a spoon to spread about ¼ cup of leek confit all around the dough leaving a little bit for the crust.
- Top each pizza with half of the shredded cheese, fresh mozzarella and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Transfer the pizzas into the oven and bake for 12-13 minutes until the crust is perfect.
- Remove pizza from the oven. Adjust seasoning as needed, add arugula, squeeze lemon juice on top and serve.