Big day today guys - I don’t have any Poppyseed recipes on WGC and my daughter is named Poppy… it was time to fix it! Lemon Poppyseed Loaf with Yogurt Glaze coming in hot for Feb!
I live for a loaf. Cake - meh, it’s fine. Cupcakes - absolutely not. But a loaf… sign me up. It’s one of my favorite things to make and store in the freezer for a rainy day. I love gifting loaves of baked goods to friends because it travels so well. And I LIVE for a loaf at a brunch. This Lemon Poppyseed Loaf with Yogurt Glaze is perfection. Dotted with poppyseeds, infused with a lemon glaze, made with a yogurt base for extra moisture… it’s amazing.
The base of this loaf recipe is so multi-purpose. And while I’m going with a poppyseed lemon combo here, I highly encourage you to take the base cake recipe and make it work no matter what time of year you’re baking. Summer would be insane with some fruit, winter would be delish with some cranberries on top and spring you could leave it plain with some macerated strawberries on top. The end result is going to be perfect every time. And that’s because the base loaf recipe itself is to die for.
The Greek Yogurt portion is made with with Stonyfield Greek yogurt, obviously as its the best Greek Yogurt and the yogurt gives the batter and extra level of moisture so it doesn’t dry out. Not to mention, Stonyfield is just hands down an incredible company that always supports small dairy farmers and you know that’s very important to me as a consumer!
I’m thrilled to be working with Stonyfield again this year - so get ready for even more yogurt inspired recipes like these:
- Raspberry Lemon Yogurt Loaf
- Cheddar Chive Soda Bread
- Loaded Steak Salad Bowl
- Butter Chicken
- Zucchini Fritters with Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- Raspberry Chocolate Pancakes
- Yogurt and Honey Olive Oil Cake
- Greek Potato Salad
Lemon Poppyseed Loaf with Yogurt Glaze
For the Loaf:
- 1 cup Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds plus more for topping
For the Glaze:
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Loaf:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack set in the center. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment, leaving a two inch overhang on both sides. Spray parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, zest, vanilla and vegetable oil until smooth. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, then whisk to combine. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, and the loaf is a deep golden brown, 55-60 minutes. If edges begin to brown too much, cover pan with foil.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Use parchment sling to remove loaf from pan and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
For the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, yogurt, lemon juice and salt until smooth.
- Pour/drizzle over cake, sprinkle with poppyseeds and lemon zest and let set completely, about 45 minutes.