Talk about easy side dishes for Thanksgiving – this Peas and Pancetta situation couldn’t be easier or more delicious!! IN FACT – at my friendsgiving dinner, one of my favorite people declared it her favorite thing on the entire menu. So bring it on Peas and Pancetta!
This Peas and Pancetta dish is embarrassingly easy. So easy that you could absolutely send this to someone in your family and ask them to whip it up if you needed a helping hand. No shame in that game. Cook off the pancetta and then set aside and do your very best not to eat it all. Leaving the rendered fat from the pancetta, cook off some shallots, red pepper flakes and frozen peas. Add the pancetta back in, top it off with some lemon zest, and done. Easy right? You could make it a few hours ahead of time and then just leave it hanging in the skillet and re-heat it for a minute or two before serving. Peas and Pancetta with Lemon – done and done.
PS – are you thinking of putting this on your Thanksgiving menu? Check out the full What’s Gaby Cooking menu here along with the master prep schedule to keep things organized and on track!
- 1/2 pound pancetta, cut into small dice
- 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh peas (or frozen peas that you've let thaw)
- 1 lemon, zested
- If using fresh peas, bring a medium pot of water to boil. Blanch the peas for 3-4 minutes and remove. If using frozen peas, skip this first step.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook until golden brown and the fat has rendered. Remove the pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the shallots and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook until soft. Add the peas and cook until warmed through. Transfer to a large bowl and top with the crisp pancetta and lemon zest.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!