I think today calls for a bit of a celebration don’t you think!!! Let’s make Poblano Skillet Enchiladas!
We’re keeping things delicious with this Poblano Skillet Enchilada situation. It’s not your typical enchilada recipe, its more of a layered lasagna made in a skillet and topped with ALL THE CHEESE. To say this is a game changer would be an understatement… it’s on par with that quinoa bake I made a few weeks ago and everyone obsessed over. So if you were to ask me if you should make this tonight for dinner, the answer is without a doubt YES.
It’s a shredded chicken recipe cooked in salsa or enchilada sauce, you can use my guacamole starter or any of my salsas and it will be pure perfection. 100% guaranteed. Then just layer in some tortillas, beans, cheese, corn and some green chiles and game over. You probably have almost everything in your fridge already. And feel free to get creative. If you have leftover wilted spinach, add that in. If you want to add some sautéed bell peppers, that works perfectly. Sky’s the limit.
Poblano Skillet Enchiladas
- 3 chicken breasts cut in half
- 1 16 ounce jar tomatillo salsa or green enchilada sauce
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles (optional)
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup fresh corn removed from the cob
- scallions and cilantro to garnish
- Combine the chicken, salsa and green chiles in a large pot over medium heat, stir everything to combine, and cook for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken, and using 2 forks, shred the chicken. Reserve all of the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium-large sized skillet, layer the ingredients, starting with a layer of sauce followed by 3 tortillas, ½ of the chicken, ½ of the black beans, ½ of the corn, ½ of the cheese.
- Repeat for the second layer with the remaining sauce, tortillas, chicken, black beans, corn and cheese. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered, until bubbly and cheese has melted and started to brown on top.
- Top with scallions and cilantro to serve. Cut into wedges as needed.