Puff Pastry Apple Galette! I mean, if this isn’t the most gorgeous apple dessert you’ve ever seen, I don’t know what else is!
I’m coming up on a crazy 6 days of travel with a grand total of 4 flights and a dinner party for 10 thrown in the middle that I’m hosting. Am I crazy… all signs point to yes! But that’s besides the point! I’ll be keeping the dinner party easy with my favorite way to make fish, a really fun risotto and THIS for dessert!
All you need to start is some store bought puff pastry dough. Add to that an easy almond mixture that you’re going to have to control yourself around because it’s that good. Plenty of thinly sliced apples (whatever your favorite variety is, that works!) And then the finishing touches… salted caramel sauce and VANILLA ICE CREAM.
Omg I can’t you guys. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted in life and more and you’d be silly not to add it to your dinner party menus this time of year! Puff Pastry Apple Galette here we come!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, lightly toasted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Salted caramel sauce for serving (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 425 degree F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 16-by-14-inch rectangle. Carefully roll the pastry around your rolling pin and transfer it to a 9- or 10-inch ovenproof cast iron pan, pressing it gently into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- In a food processor, combine the almonds, sugar and salt and process until the almonds are finely ground. Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts and the melted butter and process until the mixture comes together. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice to coat.
- To assemble the galette, pour the almond mixture into the pastry-lined pan and spread evenly. Arrange the apple slices evenly on top of the frangipane, overlapping them slightly. Fold the excess puff pastry back over the edges of the pan to form a rim or crimp the pastry decoratively. Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of ice cream and salted caramel sauce on top. Serves 8.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!