Hands down my favorite thing about this time of year is throwing a big tray of vegetables into the oven and roasting them until they are caramelized and crazy flavorful. I like them a bit crispy, perfectly seasoned and then I use them on all sorts of things, like this Roasted Butternut Squash Salad!
This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad is a once a week kinda thing in our home. I make it on a weekly rotation and keep all the ingredients locked and loaded in the fridge so I can assemble it at a moments notice. And you can bet it's going to make an appearance on the Thanksgiving menu this year.
There's a quick video below if you want a visual play by play but bottom line - roast the heck out of your veggies, add them to a peppery arugula salad bed, top it was walnuts and goat cheese and then make one of my famous homemade vinaigrettes and you're done! And feel free to add to it! Roasted sweetpotatoes would be an excellent replacement to butternut squash if you prefer that! You could add a few leftover roasted Brussels Sprouts! Skies the limit. Any roasted vegetable would be a great addition or substitution!
PS - are you thinking of putting this on your Thanksgiving menu? Check out the full What's Gaby Cooking menu here along with the master prep schedule to keep things organized and on track!
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
For the Salad
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4-5 small heirloom beets halved
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups arugula
- ¼ cup candied walnuts
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
For the Honey Balsamic Dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the cubed squash and beets on a large baking sheet, along with the wedged onion. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool slightly, carefully rub the skin off the beets. In a large salad bowl or serving platter, arrange the roasted squash, arugula, beets, walnuts, goat cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey, balsamic and olive oil until mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Dress salad as needed and serve immediately.
Photography by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Prop Styling Amy Paliwoda / Props by Casa de Perrin and The Surface Library / Recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking
I really love everything about this salad. It’s delicious and easy to make and it makes salad fun! Thank you!
Always looking for new ways to use my favorite butter nut squash!!
Just made this for guests the other night - Big hit!
This is a delicious seasonal salad!! We just love different ways to use butternut squash!
Yum!!! this reminds me of a salad that I make. I love the addition of dried cranberries. I will have to try this.
This is so gorgeous Gaby! Just the kind of salad I would want on my Thanksgiving table!
This looks so great Gaby!!! Beautiful!
This salad looks divine! I might substitute with some crispy bacon, but my husbando would totally be into the prosciutto. Either way, great salad!