Back when I was in culinary school, I used to make soups like it was my job. I made soups that were pretty much every color in the rainbow and I was one happy camper. But recently I haven't been making any soups and it's totally unacceptable. I've decided that this is because in culinary school, I would always have homemade chicken stock on hand from my endless homework assignments when I had to make vats of stock. I've also come to terms with the fact that I'm really not a make-you-own-chicken-stock kinda girl. Instead, I'm a Better than Bouillan kinda girl and let me tell you - it makes life way easier and just as delicious! Stock is so important in so many recipes so the fact that I literally have an endless supply of Better than Bouillan makes things kinda amazing over here.
This past week I made a Roasted Red Pepper and Heirloom Tomato Soup! It was ah-mazing. Plus I stirred in a touch of goat cheese at the end to give it a silky texture, and topped it with some lump crab meat. It made me feel fancy, but it took about 20 minutes of actual work time to make, it was pretty much the best of both worlds.
So if you're like me, and love the extra flavor that stock gives a recipe, you've got to give Better than Bouillon a go if you haven't already! It comes in just about every flavor under the sun - including lobster (one of my favorites!) and it's way lower in sodium that the boxed stock from the market. And then you've got to try this soup! I like to serve it at room temperature during the summer because it's just too hot to be eating soup. But you can serve it just about any way you please. I promise it's going to be delish - especially with that extra hit of goat cheese at the end 🙂
Roasted Red Pepper and Heirloom Tomato Soup with Crab
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper roasted
- 4 heirloom tomatoes roasted
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- 2 tablespoon chives chopped
- 1 lemon
- Combine the Better Than Bouillon Chicken base and 2 cups of water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 5 minutes. Add the roasted red bell pepper and chopped heirloom tomatoes. Stir to combine and let cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the stock liquid to the tomato mixture and turn the heat to medium. Continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Using a blender, or immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth and then transfer back into the pot. Stir in the goat cheese and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- In a another bowl, combine the lump crab meat with chives, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the soup is at room temperature, pour individual servings and top with a handful of the crab. (Note - you can also serve this soup warm, but as it's summer, I prefer it to be room temperature)